Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I'm thinking ole jgraider needs to spend some time at the range.

I'm thinkimg ol' JG can pretty much hit what he's shooting at.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When a guy's bitching about 'everyone else' flippantly launching rounds at critters, based on probability of 'bad hits' ...... then he posts a brand spankin' new pic of his 300+ yard ass shot deer..... it might open a small can of worms.... just sayin'.

I think JG is a good dude, and he kills big muleys..... but he totally stepped on his dick here.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

You saying he was aiming at the azz?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

No, I'm saying if you've never missed a shot, step right up. The guy who started in on JG has missed a few, right on these pages. One due to a bad wind call, ironically.

Everybody misses, and for different reasons. Others who want to comment should keep that in mind.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This isn't about "missing".... it's about Fhugking-Up.... there's a difference.... and JG ain't the only one who's f'd-up a shot (that he expected to make). But..... he is the one on this thread bitching about other guys doing it..... then he went and did it.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No, I'm saying if you've never missed a shot, step right up. The guy who started in on JG has missed a few, right on these pages. One due to a bad wind call, ironically.

Everybody misses, and for different reasons. Others who want to comment should keep that in mind.

Should the same standard be applied to long range hunters?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not sure which standard you're referring to, but what I said above was meant to apply to all shooters. And again I'll say, in my estimation, guys who shoot long distances regularly tend to miss less at any range.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

My PA friend shot that running buck. I posted what happened on that kill, and mine. Should you choose to believe, or not believe, that's your call, and is of little concern to me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
This isn't about "missing".... it's about Fhugking-Up.... there's a difference.... and JG ain't the only one who's f'd-up a shot (that he expected to make). But..... he is the one on this thread bitching about other guys doing it..... then he went and did it.

This reminds me of a hunt I was on recently.

While helping a bone head skin out the head of his animal that he caped, I asked how far the shot was. He said it was over 600 yards. I looked at the cape and asked where he hit it. He showed it to me.

It was right in the neck between the head and the shoulders.

I asked him if he mis-dialed or fugged the shot up somehow, but was happy it worked out.

He said, "No! The neck and head was the only part of the animal I could see!"

Fuqking amazing...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
It's still hunting. Some of the shooting is just not up to your standard. blush By the way, good thread.

My 'standard' is that unless an individual can keep all their shots inside a 10" bull at 1000 yards under good conditions...then it's for damn certain that no attempt be made to kill an animal under a 15-30MPH gusting wind condition at the same distance mentioned! Have I killed game at 1000 yards? I've taken game out beyond that range BUT the condition was absolutely perfect....no visible wind/mirage whatsoever and I was shooting from a position that was rock solid! That type situation has arisen very few times in my previous 60 years of shooting long range!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Unless you can figure out exactly what the wind is doing at the muzzle, at the target, and several increments in between it's just an educated guess, no matter who you are, and often enough they do not.

Yes there is the whole problem, very accurate solutions can be calculated using your smart phone. These extremely accurate solutions can even tell you how many clicks or what your holdoff should be with your given reticle, if you have the wind profile between you and the target. The wind is rarely constant when the ranges are over 100 yards, I have seen 1,000's of wind profiles and never have I seen one that was constant.going out and hunting you need to

Additionally, before going out and hunting you need to test your rifle and ballistics solution over the full range you may shoot at. Without testing you will never be absolutely sure if they match up.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.