Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've killed an azzload of black bears with a .220 swift.....never thought they were any harder to kill than a deer IMHO.

Frank Glaser, "Alaska's Wolf Man" said the Swift killed everything faster than any other cartridge he used and that was with the bullets available prior to 1965... his only exception was brown bears.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW an acquaintance of mine who lived for many years in northern BC killed everything he hunted with his 220 Swift, including a lot of moose, elk and bears. 'Course he was the fellow I've mentioned who roped and hog tied a swimming caribou bull, pulled it into his river boat and brought it home alive and whole. If you got what it takes... laugh Like most here, I suspect that Scenar Shooter does...

I travel more along JJ's path when I hunt bears. I've been in on about 50 black bears including those shot by friends and family with me along. I like large exit holes with a better chance of leaking blood for soft footed animals difficult to track on moss and forest duff, like bears. That's extra true when I'm not the shooter and I am not 100% confident in the shooter. OTOH I have one friend I happily hunt black bears with when he uses his 22-250. He killed a nice black bear with that one day with me along, one shot. I carry my 30-06 with 180 grain Swift A-frames in it.

Overall, IME I've come to the conclusion that black bears are NOT particularly tenacious of life, but are often hard to find after a fatal hit. IMO they are generally about like deer in how easy they are to kill with a decent hit. Exceptions are exceptions.

A ton of overkill beats an ounce of underkill.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/28/16. Reason: after thots
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've only been in on one goat roping with black bears and it involved a 375H&H, a 5 1/2' bear and a guy that couldn't shoot the 375H&H worth a damn.

Right good time

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Scenar, Thanks for the info..

ingwe,you headed back south again?? Have a good one that sure is fun.. Did you bring any pork home with you?? We brought both home and had them processed here.. My gal just loves pork.. I like it, but not like she does..

Yep Im headed back and yep I brought home pork. It is the best Ive had...even the fat is good!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I've only been in on one goat roping with black bears and it involved a 375H&H, a 5 1/2' bear and a guy that couldn't shoot the 375H&H worth a damn.

Right good time

Same here, only one, also a small bear, hit around the edges with a .44 and hard cast bullets. turned into a 2 hour run-n-gun.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Scenar, Thanks for the info..

ingwe,you headed back south again?? Have a good one that sure is fun.. Did you bring any pork home with you?? We brought both home and had them processed here.. My gal just loves pork.. I like it, but not like she does..

Funny schitt there.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Does size matter? According to the Pa. Game Commission press release, of the 3748 bears killed in Pa. last fall, 68 of the them weighed over 500 lbs. The two heaviest both had an estimated live weight of 713 lbs.

It seems to me that a bear that big has a lot of fat and that the comments from JJ HACK would doubly apply to a bear that heavy. Yes, no, maybe?

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are black bears hard to kill..... Nope.

Like jerrygoat states, there vitals are smaller than anticipated, that has lead to not the best of vital hits in my experience.

Another thing with bears is the layer of blubber they have in the fall sometimes will close off exit wounds to an extent also. That can make trailing a dead bear a chore at times grin

I have not killed no where near the bears Ralph Young has or have seen killed. I do know they die very well with a good ol'brain pan hit 'my favorite' or the ol' fashioned heart/lung shot with just about any caliber that you shoot deer with cool

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
I used to know a woman that would get blackies in her trash in Fairbanks. She'd go out with a broom and a mouthful of cuss words to get rid of them.

She better read "A Confederate General From Big Sur"... critters get bored with cussing and grow to ignore it after a while... even deep thinkers like frogs.

I believe there were less-defended trash cans available.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of the bears in downeast N.C. are hunted with dogs,the hunters usually follow them into some of the thickest brushpiles you have ever seen . Most are shot at touch me distances with 44mags or 45/70's One was killed within 5 miles of my place that scaled 495lbs.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B3

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.