Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's).

While that was true with the first gen tupperwares, the latest versions of SPS BDL's
weigh in at 26.6 ounces....

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aalf
The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's).

While that was true with the first gen tupperwares, the latest versions of SPS BDL's
weigh in at 26.6 ounces....

Mr. Aalf, I'd highly suggest you read my whole post and not cut out what I said. I believe he was asking about the Winchester Tupperware stocks, not SPS or BDL's:

Originally Posted by memtb
I confess to have "not" read all posts, but how much lighter is the McMillan than the "Mattel" plastic stocks of the Win.'s in the early 90's. Recoil should not be too bad! The Win. plastic stocks were pretty light, and shooting a factory stocked .338 Win.(fitted with a (Pachmayr)is not bad at all. At least, according to my wife!! memtb

The Tupperware stocks weigh in around 2.2 pounds (35 oz's). You do the math... My pounder weighs about 20 oz's with recoil pad, paint and glass bedding. A compact edge weighs about 26 Oz's. The bridges pattern and ledgend will both weigh more than the compact edge...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
BSA, Approx. 10 oz. is pretty substantial, didn't realize you could get that much lighter than that cheap original plastic stock! I stand corrected. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by laker
You guys running bansners do you order them and then finish them yourself or are you ordering directly from bansners finished? What do they run for price finished from them?

I couldn't get their website to open. Maybe it's just me.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Brownells sells unfinished Bansner High Tech stocks for $329.99.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by laker
I'm thinking about putting a 338 win mag into a mcmillan edge classic stock I have. I'll probably knock the barrel off at 23" and top it with a Leupold 6x42. I think it would make a pretty slick elk rifle. Is a 338 win mag in an edge a good idea or a bad idea?

I'm on my second and third 338. Love the cartridge. I've only shot 250 grain bullets, mostly partitions.

My first 338 was in a classic stock with Kevlar as material. (Win 70) A friend wanted that rifle badly. He used it for elk and deer. His teen age daughter used it for deer. They shot it for close to twenty years. He has issues with age and he bought my 270 Remington ADL from me. That was a nice elk rifle. The original wood stock went with that rifle also.

The other 338's are still in wood. A Remington 700 BDL and a Win 70 Classic. If I go to a wet climate (Alaska) hunting I'll put one or the other in plastic/kevlar, probably a McMillan. Otherwise I'll use them as is.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by C_ROY
I have ran this set up for 15 years and would do it exactly all over again. When this barrel is shot out it will be replaced and nothing else changed.

Standard 700 S/S BDL in .338 Win Mag of course. Brown stock, Rick Bin did the paint 13 yrs. ago, barrel shortened to 22.5". Karl did his bolt thing. Warne steel bases & Burris Signature Zee rings. Leupy 3.5-10x42.

I may upgrade the glass soon.

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm ... intriguing.

I had a nice-packing, poor shooting 700 XCR in .375 H&H rebarreled with a 22.5" Lilja in .338 Win Mag and bedded to a Bansner stock blank the gunsmith finished for me. It didn't shoot good either. After a couple years another gunsmith built a heavy .264 win mag on that action ... it, too, didn't shoot that great. At that point I sold it and moved on. However, the "why" bothers me. Maybe it was the action, not the barrels.

That take-off Lilja is still sitting in the gunsmith's shop and I still have that stock. I just bought a 700 XCR II in 7mm mag. If it doesn't shoot, I'm thinking very seriously about having him headspace that .338 tube and give it another try. At least then I'd know.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.