Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I saw a guy once that deliberately mounted his scope 90 degrees out because the windage turret was in the way of ejecting cases. .
That happens more often than you may think - especially if the scope's sitting in "low" rings..

Forgot to add:

LGS's owner told me about a guy who bought a Leupold scope from him to mount on his rifle (might have been a black-powder rifle - can't exactly recall). Anyway, a few days later the guy came in livid with rage because 'he couldn't hit chit with this scope - boolits were hitting 20-30 INCHES apart.. He handed the rifle to the LGS owner who immediately saw the problem.

The guy had TAPED THE SCOPE TO THE RIFLE.. NO RINGS/NO BASES.. The LGS owner put the rifle in a padded vise, grabbed the scope, yanked it left and right while saying, "HOW DO YOU EXPECT THIS TO BE ACCURATE?"

Then he mounted the scope on a base and rings, told the guy, "come with me".. and they went to the range. He sighted it in quickly and the next 4 bullets landed within an inch or less of each other..

The guy apologized profusely - and left..

Unreal......

Last edited by Redneck; 09/05/16.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
I saw a guy once that deliberately mounted his scope 90 degrees out because the windage turret was in the way of ejecting cases. .
That happens more often than you may think - especially if the scope's sitting in "low" rings..

Forgot to add:

LGS's owner told me about a guy who bought a Leupold scope from him to mount on his rifle (might have been a black-powder rifle - can't exactly recall). Anyway, a few days later the guy came in livid with rage because 'he couldn't hit chit with this scope - boolits were hitting 20-30 INCHES apart.. He handed the rifle to the LGS owner who immediately saw the problem.

The guy had TAPED THE SCOPE TO THE RIFLE.. NO RINGS/NO BASES.. The LGS owner put the rifle in a padded vise, grabbed the scope, yanked it left and right while saying, "HOW DO YOU EXPECT THIS TO BE ACCURATE?"

Then he mounted the scope on a base and rings, told the guy, "come with me".. and they went to the range. He sighted it in quickly and the next 4 bullets landed within an inch or less of each other..

The guy apologized profusely - and left..

Unreal......

He didnt use the 100 mph duct tape, or it would have worked!! grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't take mechanical, plumbing , electrical or hunting advice from anyone at Wal-Mart

Seems like those ole boy at Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas and the like are pretty full of themselves.

I did ask a guy at Dicks Sporting goods one day how many people bring back those chinese made coach guns and he admitted they were junk and didn't even want to sell them to anyone

This was years ago, I'm not sure if Dicks still sells all that chinese pot metal crap anymore or not.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Big 5 does

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Old cedar chopper from west of town ( now his old environs are exclusive west Austin neighborhood) came into shop with old azz, wore out, 94 Win carbine. Firing pin wore clean azz out!
Old Smith replaced FP and noticed his rear sight was missing. And asked him if he would like a new rear sight installed. Old Man answered him, "no thank you! Don't need it! Use this instead." Held up his right thumb and had a notch cut in his old thick azz thumbnail with a small triangle file. No schidt. Said it worked good enough for em in the cedar brake!

We all laughed our azzes off. He knew his rifle!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/05/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Same gunsmith mentioned above was soepenaed as a state witness in a murder trial back In The early 70's involving the "Overton Gang" in Austin. One of the Overton boys rubbed out a local massage parlor owner with a sawed off double 12 ga.

Then he brought the gun into the shop to hide in. As a clean and check! Homicide detective got a tip that the gun was in the shop from some informat. Smith ID'ed perp with no problem. Hell everybody knew the guy!

Funny deal was that the smith got a "jury summons" for the trial he was witness in!!! LOL. Homicide dick went with him to summons hearing. The Judge called for those requesting dismissal they asked to approach bench. I thing they requested to go to Judges chamber. Dick told Judge that smith needed dismissal from jury duty as he was main states witness In the trial! LOL. They said judge laughed and said he sure as hell understood why and dismissed him!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/05/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,620 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.