Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Don't envy all of you that take care of livestock. BTDT helping my Grandfather when he was still alive. Doesn't matter the weather or what you have to do, livestock get taken care of first.

There are two things I will always remember him saying. Livestock will give trouble at the worst possible time. And, when going somewhere, seeing livestock in someones pasture with their ribs and hip bones showing, his comment was "SOB shouldn't be allowed to own animals if he is not going to take care of them".

So ya'll be safe.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Feeding livestock at minus 10 or even lower has its challenges. But it still beats the hell out of working somewhere else for someone else.

We used to get weather like that every winter for a week or two. Usually the last week of Dec to the first two weeks of Jan.

We were only feeding 100 pair, a half dozen bulls, and thirty of last years calves. But I really enjoyed the winter of '80-81 when I got to harness a team every morning at dark-thirty for that day's feeding. Sabbath was extra fun, as we had to be finished feeding before daylight in order to get breakfast and make services on time.

But, heck, I have not even seen a calf with the ends of his ears frost bitten off since the early '80's.

Through the '70'S, a good share of our dairy herd had cropped ears. That was despite the calves always had a roof over their head and three walls.

Those damned heelers don't appear to have any kind of winter coat, but the little schitts are absolutely amazing. In the coldest of conditions, they are ready to go. They will be found rolling in the snow like a silly pup at 20 degrees below zero.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
the dog is liking his new coat.....

[Linked Image]

He needs a hat too. I've seen a couple heelers with ears that have been frostbit!

It kinda' looks like you duct taped that coat on him.........

He's grown since your new puppy pic's.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't understand why people go outside when it's cold?

Dave

I think you need to cold weather test a few loads.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like he's making a good pardner for you, Don.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22[Linked Image</div><div class=" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Don, I think you finally posted a photo showing your good side...... grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Damn cold!

Clos

NRA Life Member

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
We've been stuck in a bit of a cold snap here too, hovering around -10F daytime and -17F overnight. Not too bad until it gets windy, then it gets a bit ugly. Chickens are feeling it, especially the roosters with their larger combs. The turkeys on the other hand don't seem to care a whole lot, till 2 days ago they still chose to roost outside overnight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
A 10below selfie while feeding cows. minus 20 windchill.

[Linked Image]

You and I should stick with the full cover look

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
after all, we did go to different schools together....

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The last week has been fairly nippy indeed. Missouri froze over the other night and yesterday we started feeding the old cows so now everybody is waiting for chow in the morning.

Taught Whitey how to chop ice, he's a natural!

[Linked Image]

Flave, the key to dealing with the cold is turning up the heater in the pickup...duh.

[Linked Image]

And to really heat this thread up.....

Aviators, dink mawfackers, dink!

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.