J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The problem with a Rolex is that about half the people you see will think it is fake and judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to care enough about that stuff to get a fake and being too cheap to get a real one, and the other half will assume it is real but judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to spend that much money on a watch.

I like Omegas. There is some brand recognition there, but mostly only from other watch guys and they on par in quality with a Rolex.
I just don't like the look of most Rolex's. The ones I do are priced out of my budget since they're "vintage" and command the top prices that they are actually worth. Some of the old Rolex chrono's from the 50's are beautiful. To each their own but to me, lots of the "new" Rolex's are gaudy. They need to come out with some retro stuff or a new look.

Tudor is what you seek. Rolex seems to take pride in being stuffy and unresponsive to market forces. Their R&D department for new designs seems to be a 80 year old frog who thinks 24k gold is all any watch needs to be on the cutting edge.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolex's for people under 60.
In short, no. I've never seen a Tudor that turned me on. To me, they are just a less expensive Rolex. I did look at their current website. A bunch of two-dial chrono's that look like cheapened up Rolex's.

[Linked Image]

The above is what I'm talking about. The Japanese decimated the used wristwatch market in the '90s.

Tudors aren't cheap. The cases are made by and in the same place as Rolex. They used to use off the shelf movements but as I said, they are. Is starting to use their own movements too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The problem with a Rolex is that about half the people you see will think it is fake and judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to care enough about that stuff to get a fake and being too cheap to get a real one, and the other half will assume it is real but judge you for being vain/pretentious/silly enough to spend that much money on a watch.

I like Omegas. There is some brand recognition there, but mostly only from other watch guys and they on par in quality with a Rolex.
I just don't like the look of most Rolex's. The ones I do are priced out of my budget since they're "vintage" and command the top prices that they are actually worth. Some of the old Rolex chrono's from the 50's are beautiful. To each their own but to me, lots of the "new" Rolex's are gaudy. They need to come out with some retro stuff or a new look.

Tudor is what you seek. Rolex seems to take pride in being stuffy and unresponsive to market forces. Their R&D department for new designs seems to be a 80 year old frog who thinks 24k gold is all any watch needs to be on the cutting edge.

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolex's for people under 60.
In short, no. I've never seen a Tudor that turned me on. To me, they are just a less expensive Rolex. I did look at their current website. A bunch of two-dial chrono's that look like cheapened up Rolex's.

[Linked Image]

The above is what I'm talking about. The Japanese decimated the used wristwatch market in the '90s.

Tudors aren't cheap. The cases are made by and in the same place as Rolex. They used to use off the shelf movements but as I said, they are. Is starting to use their own movements too.
Maybe it's just personal taste, but I don't think any Tudor ever made looks as good as the above Rolex, nor any Rolex made in the past twenty years or so. Not even a White Gold Day-Date with a Jubilee bracelet and Diamonds at each numeral.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For eye appeal, this one does it for me.

[Linked Image]

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Pat85
Originally Posted by CraigD
First we were supposed to feel "white guilt" now I am supposed to feel "Rolex guilt" for my Explorer II I got on the submarine tender in 1975...

I wouldn't feel any guilt wearing a Rolex. I'am partial to Omegas and my next fine time piece is going to be a Speedmaster.

LOL, this is a funny thread, I've had similar inquiries about a building full of cars I may drive once a year, it's all good.

Have never understood the concern some have on what another man does with his OWN hard earned money. crazy

No chitt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bet you boys haven't seen one of these:
[img]https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/h...-trimmer-update-to-a-classic-chronograph[/img]

[Linked Image]

Given to me by one of my Spanish relatives when I used to spend my summers with them on La Costa Brava in Spain. Mine has the metal bracelet. I need to get it rehabbed.

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/22/17.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I very much prefer micro brand hand made Watch's

Ennebi, helson, Helburg orca's, heroic, etc. all these are made in multiple types of metal cases but I'm only interested in the bronze. Most hand made in small batchs of only 20-200 units per version.

The bronze ages so nice with the patina of ancient artifacts that make each one unique. The movements from the Swiss are so well designed and sold by the thousands. Parts available anyplace unmatched dependability. ETA powered watches can be serviced anywhere by any watchmaker.

Rolex are top of the heap for status and function. However resale profit by percentage for watches that are only made a dozen at a time can exceed Rolex levels easily.

My bronze Watch's are my favorite by a large margin.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pics?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Absolutely classic Pat!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Explorer does it for me as far as Rolex goes. Very understated and functional. I might have to get one sometime or another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs

Tudor offering the option of titanium or black ceramic case with in-house MT5612 or 7750/3(used in Rolex Daytonas for decades)
definitely makes them a more forward thinking watch concept.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have pics handy. Google "bronze dive watch patina" choose images and there will be plenty of them I would guess.

Bronze ages so fantastic!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I don't have pics handy. Google "bronze dive watch patina" choose images and there will be plenty of them I would guess.

Bronze ages so fantastic!

Wow I googled the bronze watches they are beautiful

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
and unique

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolexes for people under 60.

Its like they are institutionalized to a point. Using the Tudor line as barometer for new watch design to wear the Rolex logo maybe?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

But Rolex seems to blow off steam and channel their creative juices into the Tudor brand where they have all sorts of cool designs and are now even putting in their own in house movements. In short, they are Rolexes for people under 60.

Its like they are institutionalized to a point. Using the Tudor line as barometer for new watch design to wear the Rolex logo maybe?
No offense to Joe but I didn't see anything particularly innovative or even retro when I perused Tudor's watch line. Just some stuff that was a bit different than Rolex with a different branding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"Black Shield" should be a line magnum Trojans.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Tudor with clunky looking hands and two pilots. The pilots looks pretty sharp. Most of the bronze dive watches look super heavy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

No offense to Joe but I didn't see anything particularly innovative or even retro when I perused Tudor's watch line. Just some stuff that was a bit different than Rolex with a different branding.

The Black Bay is completely retro. It is pretty much the original Submariner. The Pelagos is the best tool watch on the market, Rolex included.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BlackBay retros are a combo-mix homage of features drawn from both the early Rolexes & Tudors.

To my knowledge , unlike the new retro, there was no original release watch from Rolex or Tudor which had the circular HR markers with the
square 'snowflake' HR hand.(like one sees on the retro)..... In other words, if an old Tudor had a snowflake HR hand, it had square HR markers.
(like one sees on the Pelagos)

..The Pelagos is the best tool watch on the market, Rolex included.

The best is what suites the individual. I prefer Glycine Combat over the Pelagos.

the full ceramic one piece bezel (no seperate insert) is rather unique.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/combat-sub-aquarius-500m-ref-3946

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Page 16 of 16 1 2 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,966 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,194
Posts18,503,541
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.