Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I recall way back in the day people hotrodding 38 supers for IPSC. I saw several fail in the case head. There didn't seem to be much damage to the gun itself, nor to the shooter. Had those 1911 frames been polymer what might have happened?

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/20/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
The question becomes, With a polymer frame do you loose a measure of protection in a catastrophic failure that a steel frame might provide?

Yes

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Armednfree: The first thing a normal person (gun-nut!) would "go into" is exactly what you dismiss!
"What caused this failure"?
And why on earth won't YOU "go into it"?
Do you have an agenda against Glocks?
I have been using Glocks professionally and personally for in excess of 25 years now and for many of those years fired factory full house loads alongside 19 other "qualifiers" twice every year and fired thousands of other rounds through several Glocks I was issued and own and to date I have NEVER seen even a single instance like you have put forth!
I wonder why?
I for one would like you to "go into EXACTLY what caused this failure" (alleged incident)!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IF you weren't such a twit, and paid attention to such things, you'd know that it does happen, and fairly often, and it's usually a .40.

I know a guy who's personally had at least four failures with factory .40 ammo, although not all of those were in Glocks (two Glocks, a Tanfoglio Witness, and a 1911, which lost a magazine and it's grips, but was otherwise okay). I don't recall exactly what happened with the Witness, but he lost the magazine and grips, again, with some other things wrong with the barrel and slide). The Glocks had "catastrophic events" although not as bad as the OP's pics, and were totalled. This was with factory Fiocchi ammo, which he purchased by the case, all at the same shop he got the various guns from. (the dealer was a distributor for Fiocchi ammo, too).
The dealer was/is a large police supply distributor for this area, and got his guns replaced without cost to the shooter, as he was/is a regular customer and spent a LOT of money there.

IF you didn't have your head firmly implanted someplace smelly, you'd have heard of these incidents.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Can't fault the pistol until you know the facts.

Thank You !!

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It amazes me the lack of reading comprehension here. That and the thought that everyone is looking to bash something.

The question is, in a like circumstance, would a steel frame afford a greater level of protection? Do we loose that protection with a polymer frame?

Clearly the answer is "Yes".

The question was not why it *ucking happened or who's *ucking fault it is, that was not the *ucking question.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
yes a steel frame may have provided more protection, or shrapnel

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a question to help answer the OP's question. Has anyone seen a semiautomatic handgun with an exploded frame like the picture in the OP?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That boy will be shooting left handed from here on out.

I hate plastic guns.

I hate plastic guns too. The only .40 I have is an S&W 4006.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kinda looks like it blew the bottom of the chamber out maybe.

Like this:

[Linked Image]

Then again a 35,000 psi round firing out of battery can't be a good thing.

45 autos run at 35000?

if the 40 is so bad what about 9mm plus P?

ever look at the same specs on that?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Kinda looks like it blew the bottom of the chamber out maybe.

Like this:

[Linked Image]

Then again a 35,000 psi round firing out of battery can't be a good thing.

45 autos run at 35000?

if the 40 is so bad what about 9mm plus P?

ever look at the same specs on that?

They do when you do something like drop a double charge of 231 in them.

As far as 9mm and 40, working in the same barrel blank, it's not psi that counts but total load on the chamber walls. The 40 is 22% larger than the 9mm in diameter and therefor 22% less steel.

Notice the difference between the side wall of the 9mm and the 40 chambers.

[img:center]https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP....amp;pid=15.1&P=0&w=365&h=135[/img]

Now granted that is only a factor in an overload or something that raises pressures beyond a limit. It's just that limit is less with the 40 than the 9mm.

Now I've heard that Gen 1 Glocks had an unsupported area in the chamber, something corrected in later Glocks. I don't know and don't claim to. I'm not a Glockaphile, don't dislike them, don't like them, basically indifferent.

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/21/17.

IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (14idaho, 406_SBC, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,462 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,724
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.