A 300WM is the LAST rifle cartridge I would EVER own. They kick and are IMHO just plain uncomfortable. Give me my Ruger stainless 338 or my custom built 416 Taylor over any 300 WM any day. The stainless M77 is my second one and I have a Pre 64 338 as well. I have taken a 338 to Africa twice and Alaska twice. The Grizzly took a second shot only for insurance and the Moose well he was just to slow to know he was dead but he took 3 before he dropped all killing well placed shots. A Greater Kudu, Warthog, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, and a Bushbuck all fell to a single shot as well as a 6X6 Elk in Colorado. The Elk was in 2001 and I haven't shot a 338 since then. IF I ever get the chance to hunt an Elk again the only rifle I'd consider is the 338. I'd take a FWT 06 as well but only as a back up rifle.
A 338 will do everything a 300WM can and then some the reverse just doesn't apply. Unfortunately I only have deer here to hunt and if one got real lucky you might draw a Elk tag. I got one in 2001 for a cow but took the 416 Taylor. Another problem if you can call it a problem is that there are 35+ rifles capable of taking deer or larger game and I only have two deer tags a year.

Last edited by GSPfan; 06/28/15.