I've had 2 77/22 mags, both were in the 1.5 to 2" range at 100 yards with several kinds of ammo. Traded the first one for the second hoping it would be better. Turned the second one into a 17HMR with a heavy fluted Green Mtn barrel. It was super accurate.

Years ago me and two buddies kept passing a Marlin 783 back and forth, I don't think any of us shot it for group size but I do remember head shooting a few squirrels with it at around 50 yards with no problems.

My current 783 hangs right around 1"or a little better for 5 shots at 100 with Winch 40 grn h.p.. That is it's favorite of what I've tried in it, but with 22 mag ammo hard to come by in this area since I bought it, I haven't tried much of a variety.

My brother brought me his Marlin to mount a scope and sight in a few years ago. I don't remember what it liked best but it would do around 3/4" at 100. I also don't remember if his is the 783,883, or 983. It is the rifle that convinced me to go back to Marlin for a 22 mag.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org