Originally Posted by curdog4570
Sounds too long for a pickup rifle. I got the cataract off my right eye last week and I could use an aperture sight again, and I like that in a pickup rifle.

My Marlin 444 still has the open sights, so I may just take the scope off it and haul it around.

But damn it's heavy.

I've give Ed too much hell over plastic rifles and skinny bullets. If I go with an AR I'll never live it down.

But one chambered for 308 might not be a bad deal.

What's the overall length on those?

Sorry,...didn't see your question, but fortunately somebody else did.

FAL's are great for what they are. They're a big, heavy, durable, easily maintained battle instrument. But they're lumps,...about 9.5 lbs. is typical.

If I needed a rifle to keep from getting my ass shot off, a FAL would be high on the list, but I'd be hard pressed to want to haul one around for any type of long range recreational activity.

On the other hand, this old boy I used to chat with up in Alaska screwed a .358 Winchester barrel on his and he says that it's a good tool for the big bear country.

I'd say that 20 rounds of 220 grain bullets at 2600 fps ought to be enough. It seems to work for him.

If you can get a barrel turned for one in .358, everything else is already there. The actions and the magazines just go along like they're eatin' .308.

Here's his bear. He says the situation made him a bit tense, but the .358 FAL took care of it well enough. A dependable semi auto and a 20 round mag of .358 is a pretty good dangerous game tool.

[Linked Image]