Originally Posted by Colo_Wolf
Have a bunch of one hole shooters, not really surprising. Also, not surprising, is the second shot always ruins the short run.

Way back, I happened to walk into my local gun shop. At that time they had used rifles on a couple racks in the middle of the store along with whiskey barrels full of fired range brass. I'd go in and sift through the brass to find a couple dozen of what I was looking for and fondle a couple used guns. One day I spied a likely looking prospect. It was a heavy barreled Winchester 70 with a push feed action.

[Linked Image]

Seems the barrel was labeled Shilen, 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

IIRC they were asking $400. At that time I was so broke I couldn't afford to pay attention. Good looking rifle though. Over the next six months or so I'd come into said gun shop and that rifle was still sitting there in the rack. I asked the manager what was the deal, as rifles usually did not set there that long. Seems nobody wanted this rifle as it had a small hairline crack just in front of the wrist, below the bolt, it was a push feed not CRF, and it had a heavy barrel.

[Linked Image]

Well it sat there a while longer until I talked the manager down to $350 IIRC, and put it on lay-away.

Anywho, over the years my go to load for a rifle chambered for the 270 Win is a 130 gr. Ballistic Tip over 60 Gr. H4831.

If I've not shot a rifle in a bit, I usually go to the range to check zero, at both 100 and 200 yds.

The following two pix show the type of accuracy this rifle is capable of. First pix is two shots back to back. One can understand why i did not try a third.
The next pix is after a click. One shot a short time later. In this instance, I was not shooting for groups, as much as I was to determine POI at 100 yds, cold barrel. I was satisfied.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.