don't have a Montana, but I got a model 7, so does a pard of mine, both love a max load of H414 with Winchester primers and Nosler 100 gr BT. Deer drop like lighting hit them. Very Very accurate. Painless has seen some of the groups.

pullit,

I've heard several folks on a couple of forums talk about how well the 100g BT drops deer. I have a few questions for you about that load if you don't mind answering.

About H-414, does this powder seem to be very temp sensitive? Does it burn dirty?

Do you mostly wait for double lung shots? How does the 100g BT perform from other angles? How does this bullet perform when it strikes a shoulder or on a shot where the deer is quatering toward you?

How far are your typical shots? (or asked another way, what is a typical impact velocity where theses bullets perform so well?). What weight deer do you use this bullet on?

I loaded up some reduced loads for my 11 yr old daughter using the 100g BT. I used 24g of SR-4759. I haven't chronographed the load yet but I'm hoping for 2,400 fps.....think this will work ok? I'm tempted to try this bullet out of my 260 AI but my shots are typically 50 yds and sometimes less in timber. Not sure how the bullet would perform with over 3,300 fps muzzle velocity, a close shot, and possibly not the best presentation. I would sure appreciate your thoughts. I realize shooting across fields where you can choose your shots is a different game.

BTW, I've heard good reports about the 120g Sierra Pro Hunter as a deer dropper.

HogWild