Originally Posted by pre6422hornet
I just purchased 2 sawyer mini's for use this fall in the Wilderness here in New Mexico. I plan on using one inline and filling up the camelback bladder and going. The second one is going to be used as a gravity for base camp.

I filled a one liter bottle of water ( with the bottom cut off to help the gravity test) this weekend and measured the "speed" of how fast it filtered water. It took 15 minutes on the dot to filter one gallon of water. I have no idea if that is fast or slow, but it seemed to work very well. Now this was clean tap water it was filtering.

I plan on carrying two empty water jugs or bladders into camp and gravity filter while setting up camp, making dinner, etc.. One dirty and one clean. That way I have clean water at camp all the time.

That's interesting. I just went and timed the Sawyer 3-in-1 just to see how it stacks up to the Mini. Just under 9 minutes to filter a gallon by gravity, even considering the bottleneck adapter fittings that allow nothing more than a trickle to enter and flow through the filter.

EDIT: BTW, looks like Sawyer now calls the 3-in-1 filter the PointONE...

Last edited by Jordan Smith; 08/10/15.