Originally Posted by natman
Originally Posted by 340mag
Your 100% correct, theres no doubt that movement and scent are the big give away,s game used to locate predators, but youll never have any idea how much game avoided you as a hunter by spotting reflective and light catching gear simply because they vacate the area when they spot you long before you had a chance to spot them.

Exactly right. I was once hunting and I spotted a flash from a polished blued rifle that was at least a mile away. It's amazingly unnatural looking and any game animal who saw one during hunting season would find somewhere else to be.

that depends where you are at.....out where i hunt flashes are a normal part of the environment from ag equipment to lots of quartz and mica on the ground.....sitting glassing over a long while i will see flashes off and on most of the time....if a critter freaked every time they saw a flash they would die of a nervous breakdown.....

however change the location to the rainforests of the PNW or something like that and yeah its likely a beacon that grabs a critters immediate attention....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books