[Linked Image]

Well, I haven't pulled the trigger on anything for a long while, but the recent acquisition of a 24" MGM Contender barrel in 6.5x30-30AI seems to have changed my luck for the better.

Late this evening, I glanced outside through my 8x42 Meopta binos to see the deer acting very skittish and even running towards the house. So I grabbed a the 6.5x30-30 AI, on which I had placed the very best glass I own (Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50/#4reticle)

Under virtually dark conditions, I put a 120 grain Ballistic Tip, which has a starting velocity of around 2575 fps, through the front edge of the boar's massive shoulder as he faced me with a strong quartering presentation from app. 175 yards.

The impact was quite audible in the rain-cooled air, and I felt good about the shot. But I grabbed a Dan Wesson .357 Mag revolver loaded with 140 grain Barnes before driving down there just in case.

The sidearm was not needed. The hog had gone less than 35 yards before folding.

And for those who still think the BTs are fragile varmint bullets, consider this: that 120 grain Nosler had busted through heavy hide, significant bone, destroyed the top half of the lungs and ripped up part of the liver before continuing onward. At this point, it has not been recovered but may later tonight. If so, I will post a picture.

I must admit I had been missing the performance of my former 26" 6.5x30-30 AI (6.5mm Bullberry IMP). But this new-to-me "replacement" sure made me smile tonight.