I'm running a 26" brux 8 twist barrel on my 243. I've ran 105's to almost 3200 but my current load with the 105 amax is running 3080. I originally wanted a 24" barrel but the smith missed that note and went 26". It shot well enough that I didn't want to mess with it after that so left it. My next 243 is coming with a 22" 8 twist.

I've only shot 1 buck with the 105 vld and it seemed to pencil in for 3-4" and then come apart. Some frags exited. Worked just like they say they do and I'd feel ok using one on elk.

I've shot rock chucks at 500 + yards with the 105 amax and had some good splat effect. With the vlds at that range I've had less splat and a few crawl off a ways. I think that first few inches where the vld holds together is why. Although I have had some that splayed good with the vld.

We'll see how the Amax does on antelope in a few months. Then I'd like to try the 105 hornady bthp's and the 105 berger hybrids. I drew and extra whitetail did tag so maybe I'll try one of those on it.

My first rifle was a bdl 6mm and I hunted with it from age 14 until about 24 or 25 almost exclusively. I killed at least 9 deer with it and all pretty much dropped at the shot and it only took one. Back then I used the hornady 105 btsp. After years of playing with bigger rounds I've notice none have really killed much quicker than the old 6mm. I love the old 6mm for sentimental reasons but when I build now I go 243 because it works just as well and fits the mag box better. Brass is also better.

I'm still contemplating a 6-06 build. 23" 8 twist on a 700 LA. Plenty of mag box space, easy to form from several other cartridges, and should feed great with 5 in the mag and no belt. Thinking I could get the 105's close to 3400. I'd go rem standard sporter and a light stock. I don't think the extra few ounces and about ,75" of length from a long action would be a big deal. My fat fingers would load it easier too. Does anyone have a good 6-06 reamers print?

Bb