This thread needs to keep going.

One of my uncles was in the 103rd Infantry, fought in the Vosges, the Alsace and Austria - Siegfried Line, Operation North Wind, Lord knows what else. Undoubtedly dealt with PTSD for 50 years. Sometimes he'd tell us stories of what he went through. One of my favorites went something like this:

They were riding on tanks thru some woods, German horse-drawn anti-tank gun destroyed the first tank in line, the others turned off the road into the woods. All the infantry baled off the tanks and began searching the woods for the Nazis they knew would be there with Panzerfausts or Panzerschrecks to ambush the other tanks. At some point he spotted a hidden German and emptied his Garand, missing him each time. After the last round the German flipped his helmet off, put up his hands and surrendered. So did several others near him. My uncle's comment was they were looking for a chance to surrender and took that one.

P.S. Uncle said he checked his sights and he had set them for extreme range earlier and forgot to lower them - he'd shot over the German 8 times. I'm thinking the excitement of the moment might have contributed to the misses too, but I wouldn't have said that to him.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG