I have always loved the looks of the Ruger No1 and a few of the other makes, but have never really looked into buying one. I always liked the confidence a repeater brings to the table...but realize that I have very rarely (as in never) needed a "rapid" follow up shot on anything larger than a rabbit.

After building a very accurate 6br that is effectively a "single shot repeater". I think I am willing to look into joining the single shot rifle ranks. So now my questions.

What single shot rifles should I be looking for that have a great trigger, and are very accurate. I fired a martini type rifle (really not sure of make) in a 218 bee that had a set trigger that was fantastic. Was fairly well impressed with the off the elbows accuracy. BUT I hear a few folks say their Rugers are very accurate and show pictures of 1.5 to 2 inch 100 yard groups. I am hoping there are some rifles out there that are less than minute of angle shooters that can handle today's modern high pressure cartridges. The rifle will be used mostly for stand hunting whitetails and on predators.

How are the triggers on the Rugers? The Encores? What rifles have the best triggers?

I am looking for an education on the single shot rifle. Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Scott