Basiclly if it will handle 3/4 oz of shot up to about 1 1/8 oz of shot it will work fine. Most upland game is killed at ranges under 35 yds so chokes wise IC or modified are plenty. If you hunt extremely heavy cover you may want to go more open than IC but generally the IC or modified rule will keep you in the game. I tend to let the shot payload influence my choke selection with the 3/4 oz I choose mod with 1 1/8 oz IC. Get the nod most frequently.
Shot size I use mostly 6 and 7.5 depending on the size of the bird, 6s for pheasents and sm game 7.5 for everything else. Speed s/b 1150 fps to 1300 fps and I tend to stick with 1150-1200 fps loads.
So if you have a 20,16 or 12 that fits you and is choked appropriately you s/b good to go. Gun type is largely irrevelant as long as you like it. I have repeaterswell as break action guns and they all work fine. Just remember on repeaters that many places require you to limit the magazine capacity to two and one in the chamber so remember your magazine plug. Also watch your rules regarding non toxic /lead shot in the area you hunt.

Current favorites a couple of brownings. A m12 and a sweet sixteen

Last edited by bangeye; 10/02/15.