Originally Posted by Ringman
Klikitarik,

The vast majority of .375's are purchased by shooters who will never use them for what they were designed for. The vast majority of them will fire it a few times and brag about owning one.

When I went to Alaska my .375 had a 4-16X40. If I went to Africa it might have a 2 1/2-16X but I might leave the 4-16X on it.

I suppose if you're using a 375 because you just want to use it for medium to long range (like what 4-16x range is meant for), and you had a guide to back you, that's fine.

But practically speaking, if one is using a 375 for it's superior stopping effect on large dangerous animals potentially close, then field of view becomes exceptionally more important than max magnification. I've never heard of someone losing game because their scope wasn't powerful enough.

And a 375 if for big creatures with big kill zones. Or if you need 16x because you're an expert marksmen capable of 500+ yard shots, you're better off with a 30 or 33 cal as several of those will carry better effect at those ranges.

Moreover, all that weight in a big scope means more stress under recoil on the mounting system.