Originally Posted by hawkins
You are saying that the case walls at the stress ring will
hold back the chamber pressure.

`I am saying that it is the bolt face that supports the case head, and the chamber supports the case walls. Making it possible for the case to hold the pressure. Just like the tire and wheel support the inner tube.The stretching at the stress ring occurs because the case walls grip the chamber. But the case head is pushed back against the bolt face. The pressure is inside the case and it holds it at all points, until it ruptures and or ruptures and separates. (Think head space).

A case will grab and hold until something like 30/40 KPSI,
Then it will come back against the breech.
An oiled case will come back and expand forward avoiding
the stress ring.

In a modern high intensity cartridge the case head comes back against the breach anyway. The walls grip the chamber. That is what causes the stress ring. With the oiled case the entire case comes back together. Avoiding the stress ring. The thrust against the breach is still the same. Unless the inertia picked up by the case moving back contributes, which I doubt. Or the straining of the brass at the stress ring contributes, which I also doubt.

Ackley claimed to fire a 94 Winchester without locking lugs.

If that is true. Then the case (walls griping the chamber, and head supported only by the inertia of the bolt and linkage). Held the pressure.

If he had ran the pressure up it would be a different outcome.

Precisely. Most of the case. From what you call the stress ring forward would likely remand in the chamber. The case head, bolt, and other 94 parts. Are what the doctor or mortician would have removed from P.O.s body.