Originally Posted by Stick1330
How big of a caliber is needed to put down a camel? How hard is it to get a permit to hunt them? I've eaten the meat a couple of times and it's not bad. I actually had a camel skewer in Perth three days ago. I still prefer kangaroo.

I've hunted camels twice, the most recent was July this year. I've seen them shot with a 416Rigby, 350Rem mag, 338Fed, 7mm Mauser and the results are, IMO, indistinguishable between all of those cartridges. I will probably be using an 8x57 running 200gr ABs on the next trip.
On the last trip we both used 7x57s and took a heart/lung shots first to slow/stop them and then a shot to the back of the head. That technique worked very well, where multiply shots to the heart/lung area doesn't have an immediate effect of putting them on the ground.

There is no permit required to hunt them, they're feral animals and usually not liked by landowners due to their destructive effects on fencing.

The meat? we will be taking extra refrigeration and butchering equipment on our next trip, we both really like it so more meat will be coming home with us.