I have been keeping up with the post I started. Perhaps, we need to dig a little deeper and spell out what I see as important. I received a PM that truly categorized people with their firearms.

1. Shooters
2.Hunters
3. Casual shooters

He further went on to say there was a big difference between 1 and 2 and 3.

First off to be good in #1, one has to have enough trigger time to be able to tell if an errant shot is the shooter or gun/ammo. This takes a lot of trigger time with almost year round shooting, if old like me. Sitting down on the bench with confidence and complete control, takes lots of practice. In addition, shooting Rock Chucks and Sage Rats provide an outlet from April thru June. If I had to just shoot paper, I would not pursue this like I do.

And as I shoot chucks, I want to extend my range. My longest shot on a chuck is 417 yards. Not a long ways for many, but for me, a long ways. Next season if I am still around, my goal is about 550 yards. To make those shots, I have to be confident along with having a very accurate rifle/ammo combination.

Big game hunters could care less as the target is much larger. I shot many dozens of big game animals with a Ruger 270 that was 1 1/2" gun.

As for the number of shots needed to test your loads, since 1961, I have shot 3 shot groups with maybe a dozen 5 shot. I find that if I can go out the next time and shoot a group similar to the last one, the 3 shot group is suffice. I think that what Mule Deer was actually talking about with 10 shot groups, is what bullet companies must do to prove their bullets. Primarly, I am interested in one shot groups. I want to be able to have that bullet go where I want in one shot. I do not want to have to shoot the second time to make the kill.

Many of you reading this are likely much better shots than I am. About that, good for you. If you are not, then you have something to work for.