Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by readonly
I would skip the hassle and uncertainty and look elsewhere. I have a friend whose family owns acreage and a house in the mountains. A neighbor just bought a 150 acre adjoining property for dirt cheap due to poor access. Now he wants an easement straight through their land so he can live there year round. I told them to figure out the increase in value to his property with the new access, and charge him at least the difference.

In most states now, it's illegal to sell lank locked parcels.

For the existing parcels that are landlocked, most states also have a legal remedy consisting of the most reasonable route to access the property being assigned as a permanent ingress/egress easement, and the owners of the surrounding property the easement crosses have no recourse but to allow the access.

It's not landlocked, it just does not have the access the new owner wants, and it wasn't subdivided off of my friend's property, so if it were landlocked, that would be an issue for the original parcel to resolved. Otherwise unscrupolous owners get better access by subdividing landlocked parcels....to be resolved by third party properties.