I have been so VERY happy with this Rifle that I thought I would pass along my experiences with it to anyone looking for a longer range Rifle for medium game.
Back in early 2,003 I came across a Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester. This is the 26" heavy blued barrel model with the wide forearm synthetic stock.
I mounted a Leupold Long Range 6.5x20 variable scope in Leupold rings and bases on it.
This scope has the 30mm tube with the 40mm objective lense and a fine Du-Plex reticle.
The Rifle came from the factory with a crisp trigger but I eventually did adjust it down to 2 1/2 pounds.
The only other thing I did to do to it was torque the action screws to 35 inch/pounds.
My first trip out to the range for "load development" was my last!
With 59.0 grains of H 4831 SC, Federal 210 Match primers and the 130 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips it repeatedly made very small three shot groups!
I finished breaking in the barrel and went home.
I still use the same load today.
To date I have killed numerous Deer with it (both Whitetail and Mulies), seven or eight Buck Antelope, one 6x6 Bull Elk and several Coyotes.
I don't ever recall shooting at any one game animal more than once with this rig.
The 130 grain Nosler bullet is not only accurate it IS deadly!
According to my loading log I have less than 125 rounds down the tube so far so it should last me the rest of my life.
And to one of the Rifles best attributes - I just last week fired another sight-in verification group at 100 yards.
The group printed EXACTLY 2.7" high at 100 yards and dead on for left and right - the great thing is this is exactly where the Rifle has been sighted in since September of 2,003! Every time I check this Rifle for point of impact it stays at the same point!
The group I fired last week included the first shot from a Break-Free oil protected bore and still the group measured just .611".
If a person needs a long range reliable Rifle and does not mind a little weight on the sling (Rifle and scope weight 10 pounds 12 ounces!) then I highly recommend they seek out one of these Remington 700 Sendero's.
My Sendero's constant companions when afield are a Leica LRF 900 Scan Model laser rangefinder and a Harris Tall Model Swivel bi-pod.
I have killed Antelope out to 507 yards with this Rifle and several Deer beyond 400 yards!
Over the years I have come across two other high plains Hunters who have this same model/caliber Rifle and their experiences have been the same as mine - accurate, good triggers and reliable.
To tell the truth I have been so enamored with this 270 Sendero I have been considering buying another to be used by my sons and grandson but I have as yet to see another one (in person!) for sale.
By the way I use Federal brass in my handloads - no special reason other than to keep the brass for this 270 easily distinguishable from my other 270's brass.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy