I asked my 95 year od granddad the same question shortly before he passed (we loved to talk hunting). He thought for a minute and said "80 or 81 - just a few more bucks than does" that was from the 1930s up through 2005 in NY state.

Here in NY state we are allowed one "regular" buck tag, one over the counter muzzle loading tag. And you can apply for a doe tag which in my experience you get about 50% of the time. So if you muzzle load you can get about 2 and a half deer a year. The muzzle loading season in recent years is only open in December (after the regular season!) so the deer are very wary by then. Some years I get 2 deer. Some years 1. There have been years I did not fill a tag despite my best efforts. It is not unusual to hunt for days without seeing a single deer, let alone one with antlers.

I started hunting 25 years ago but didn't kill a deer until the 4th year. In the last 21 years I have killed 20 whitetail. If any of you guys have too many deer or extra tags I'd be happy to help!

Last edited by Mssgn; 10/29/15.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27