It is amazing that Remington did not engineer and polish out this tendency of the Mni-Mauser to have a rough and binding bolt travel.

This would seem to be the third brand name to just pass this very real problem through from factory to the purchaser; i.e., Interarms, Charles Daly and now Remington.

I used to own one of the first Interarms versions way back and the bolt cycling was like was dragging sandpaper sideways across gravel. This was made smoother with a bit of very careful lapping; still the bolt had a tendency to bind with the least little bit of applied side pressure. The fundamental reason is that the bolt body had way too much clearance in its raceway. Maybe a guide rib or slot would take some of the slop out.

Mine was in 223 and was bought because it was cute as Hell and handled like a baton - and with a better looking stock than the 799. It shot only okay after a lot of alternative glass-bedding techniques and fooling around with various loads.

Mine is long gone. When I saw Haviland's review, my first thought was did they fix that blasted bolt problem? I was not surprised that the Europeans did not, just puzzled as to why Remington would accept, and sell, them with such an obvious manufacturing defect.

Please don't forget to get out and vote for the Constitutional Right that insures all others. It is near the top of the list for very good reason.

"Never try to teach a pig how to sing. It wastes your time and irritates the pig."