Friend of mine has a "B" prefix 700 in 270, and it went off unexpectedly the other day while he was hunting as he pushed the safety from Safe to Fire. It has the old trigger design (which I own quite a few of and have never had any trouble out of) and he had read about the issues some have had with them.

I have a Timney trigger here that was installed by me in a varmint rifle, used briefly and removed when the purchaser of the rifle didn't want it. I thought the only way my friend would ever have confidence in the rifle again was to completely replace the trigger group, so I installed the Timney into his rifle last night.

After installing the new trigger, I bounce tested it and was able to make the rifle "fire" when the safety was taken off. Also, I was able to make it "fire" a couple of times at bolt closure. I disassembled the firing pin group and cleaned everything, nothing appears damaged or looks out of place.

What is the proper way to handle getting his rifle repaired? A reputable gunsmith or send it back to Remington? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...