Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
Guys:

I hear references here all the time to the "high shoulder shot". What is this?? Said to be instantly lethal and deer "drop in their tracks". Affects Brachial Plexus??

I would like to use it this season from one particular stand. What is the aiming point on the shoulder to have best effect??

Sorry if this has been discussed recently, hard to keep up with all the things going on this fall. THANKS.

NB

I have discussed this many times with fellow hunters.
IMO- It depends some on the caliber of your weapon. Also on the distance to the deer.

Personally I think about every caliber 30 and up are fine with the high shoulder. Most under 30 should take the shot behind the shoulder to avoid the large bone and get better penetration.

My usual deer rifle is a 30-06 shooting 150 grain and up ammo ( usually 150 ) I take the high shoulder shot 99 % of the time
With the exception being the need to take a sudden shot at an unknown distance over 200 yards. Then I aim for behind the shoulder so if I were to miss low it will result in a clean miss and not a broken leg and high chance to lose the deer.

I have shot around 60 deer using the high shoulder and all were DRT. Some don't even kick , they just go straight down on their chin. Sure you mess up a double hand full of meat but If I need more meat I shoot a doe.