Originally Posted by BH63
I think the thing with RSA being considered expensive for buff, is that the hunts (i.e. daily rates) are quite reasonable (sometimes less than $500.00 a day), but the tariff (i.e. trophy fee) for shooting the animal is more expensive (say $8000.00 instead of $2000.00).

I agree that RSA is probably the most efficient in terms of time and overall cost than most other countries, but you are not really getting the full exposure of being out in the African bush with free-roaming lions, leopards, rhino, etc. like you might in some other countries. JMO

$15k for 2 buff in Tanz seems like a bargain (although I understand you may have to spend another $1-2K on a charter flight).

$11k for for 3 buff in RSA seems like a pretty good deal as well, although I wonder what size buff you would probably wind up with? I have two currently both in the 34-36 in range (although both have nice bosses) and from what I hear it is quite common to have a sliding trophy fee in RSA based upon the size of the horns. I wouldn't do one of those hunts, just on principle.

BH

Just to clarify, it's not 3 buff for 11K. They are 11K each. We just have three of these buff available at that rate. I also think that you are a little off on the charter flights in Tanz. You looking at closer to 3.5K.

Size on this deal is up to 40".
If we say 39" and it's 41", it's your good luck.
I will eventually shoot one for myself, I guess,and when that time comes, it will be a 33" worn down, no hooks, knarly cracked boss, white faced dagga boy, rather than just a 40" hard bossed bull. But, that's just me.

We don't work on a sliding scale for any animals. Buff are below and above 40" classes. That's it.
I actually saw an excellent explanation for the sliding scale by an operator in Namibia once. Someone asked him, why he chooses to have a sliding scale, and his response was as follows. If someone requests a 40"+ Oryx, it might take him 3 days to find such an animal. That is 3 days of time, 3 days of fuel used and 3 days of effort required, possibly numerous stalks to find one animal. Therefor, those animals carry a higher price tag, so I understand the logic from the operators side.
Some might say, what if you find the animal around the first corner? Well, what about those who search for 5 days and never get it? Who loses out then?
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]