Originally Posted by Lonny
Yes, 28 years later.

But there are plenty of almost worthless degrees available.

In some cases though, employers really don't care what you graduated with as long as you finished something. Lots of starters, not as many finishers.

Years ago, I picked up a short work stint through Manpower (temp employment agency). The outfit (ad agency) needed a bunch of young people (simple labor) to help set up their client's (Cummins) display at the Farm Progress Show. The first day there were a strong dozen or so, to get panels put in place, a tent erected, etc. The second day they needed fewer and I was surprised when the boss asked me and 3 or 4 others to come back. At the end of the day he told us he wanted one fellow to work for the duration of the show, to keep the displays clean, change light bulbs etc., the rest were done. He asked if I would do it. (Getting paid to change light bulbs? Heck yes!) He ended up giving me some great advice; told me why he had singled me out from the bunch that started. He saw I showed up on time - a bit earlier than asked; I knew how to work (the pick and shovel weren't strangers or enemies), and then he gave me some advice about college. He said they hired graduates, not necessarily that they had a specific degree, but that they had proved that they knew how to deal with hurdles, deadlines, and stress. He told me that they needed to train whomever they hired anyway.

I've always remembered that. The 'paper' you have often means less than the fact that you have it. There's a bunch of other stuff that's often as or more important. I ended up getting a teaching degree that provided a good career in rural Alaska. I never did get paid for the best education I had because I learned so much more after I got my degree than I did before (and I didn't take classes just to pad my income - yeah, foolish I suppose).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.