For decades I hunted midwest Whitetails with a Savage 99 250-3000, but got an itch to hunt with a 30-30.

Last Saturday was Wisconsin's opening day and at 0545 I was in my tree stand in the midst of a snowstorm. At about 0730 the snow let up and gave me a chance to survey my surroundings. On a distant hill side was a horizontal brown spot and the binos indicated a bedded buck. I attempted to laser the distance, but the snow fall did not allow an accurate reading, but from past experience I know that spot is about 225 to 250 yards out.

I was not comfortable taking a shot with the 30-30 so I decided to get out of the tree stand and put a stalk on him. After putting my Indian sneak on him I came out just above him at 75 yards. The snow increased and everything was silent except for hissing of the snow. Put the crosshair just back of the junction of the neck and shoulder with the intent of hitting the spine.

The aim was true and you can see it was almost an instant death. He just made a little hop out of his bed. Federal Power-Shok 150 grain.

Hunting with the Savage 99 now...got a doe tag to fill.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime