There can only be one! In the end it is and will always be, for me, the 375H&H in a Winchester Mod.70. Using Sierra 250gr or the 260gr Noslers it is wonderful on deer, elk & moose. For the big fury guys with teeth & claws the 300gr bullets have there place. Ammo can be found on the selves of even the smallest hardware country stores. Plus there are many other folks that have greater means than I that share their thoughts in script that agree. Although they include "the World" & not just NA, if the 375H&H is used in Africa for everything from the smallest gazelle to the largest land mammal I'm sure it will handle everything in NA.

To quote just a few:

"[I]f I could have two cartridges to hunt the world, I'd be quite happy with the .30-06 and the .375 H&H. And if I could have just one cartridge to hunt the world over, my only answer is the .375." -- Craig Boddington, "Classic Hunting Cartridges: .375 Holland & Holland Magnum," Petersen's HUNTING, June 1995, p. 43 (emphasis in original).

"The .375 is one of my real enthusiasms in big-game cartridges. If I were going to hunt all over the world and could use only one rifle, it would be the .375. If I could have only two, one would be a .375 and the other would be a .270." "And there isn't any doubt that a good big gun is better than a good little gun - if it's properly handled." -- Jack O'Connor, The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns, Outdoor Life (1961).

"It (the .375) handles anything from small deer to the heaviest bear or moose. I have used the .375 Holland and
Holland Magnum on a great deal of game with good results." -- Elmer Keith, Hunting Big Game, Peterson Publishing Company (1965), Chapter Three, "Stalking Rifles," p. 53.