Near Squaw Lake,MN there is enough ice to fish CAREFULLY! A friend came over today, and we checked the ice. 5", so he went out. I was repairing a garage door opener☹️. After a successuful repair, I took the 4-wheeler along shore and then walked out in time to see him catch a nice walleye at 2#. I went home to get my gear ready for tomorrow. On the way out I had broken through close to shore in some thick weeds, so I avoided that spot on the way back. Only to end up going through in about 2 ft of water. Or one foot and a foot of loonshit. Stepped off the machine onto the ice, took two steps and went through. Buddy heard me go thru and called my wife to check on me. .i was on a mission to get out of the wet clothes!

We hooked a winch onto the at and it is now drying out. Tomorrows fishing will be cut short, as it will get an oil change and whatever else it need to get going again.

The moral of the story is be careful. Ice thickness varies from almost 6" out in the open to 1" by large clumps of weeds. In the area where the atv went in the ice was uneven, 1-2" thick.even while wandering around to get the atv out, I broke through several times.

Be safe!