Good morning to all around the Campfire. Up early, but not to go hunting this morning. Coffee is on, fire is going, and I'm listening to rain on the roof and thankful for another family deer adventure that turned out even better than I had hoped.

Our deer season got off to a slow start this year as I was gone the first four days of the season with students at a National Science Teachers Association convention in Kansas City, so Sunday was our first day out. My wife and I divided up and hunted with Grace and Layne in different spots. The morning hunt found Grace and I overlooking one of our favorite spots, but we didn't see any deer.
[Linked Image]

Our evening hunt was spent overlooking a pretty area of sandhill country, but once again, the deer weren't cooperating. Temps in the 60's weren't helping any, I'm sure.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No luck for me after school on Monday, but a short hunt Tuesday evening produced this small 7-pt. for the freezer. This one and an 8-pt that was a little bit bigger came out 250 yards down the tree row I was in, but livestock and a farm house in the background made it a no-shoot situation until the deer moved. They slowly started to move my way and this one finally gave me the chance to put some meat in the freezer.
[Linked Image]

Friday I took time off to spend the day with Layne and we started it watching out over the same draw Grace and I watched last Sunday. We ended up seeing a small 4-pt buck at 8:45 am that came up out of the draw, but he didn't give us a shot. About 30 min. after that a very nice 8-pt buck came walking in at the very bottom of the draw and stepped into a small opening, but was facing us head-on at 150 yards and was down below us, so not a very good shot. He stayed like that for maybe 15-30 seconds at most. Layne was on him waiting for him to turn just a bit, but instead he put his head down and walked straight towards us, so all we would have had to shoot at was the top of his neck and back until he disappeared in the trees below us. Darn it.... Layne was disappointed to not get a shot, but very excited to see him and know he is there. We stayed a while to see if he would show again, but didn't see him, so I'm sure he bedded in the draw for the day. We backed out quietly hoping we might cross paths with him again this weekend. An evening hunt produced no deer sightings for me and a nice nap for Layne.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 12/12/15.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."