sse;
Top of the morning to you sir, hopefully you all are keeping well, warm and dry this winter.

I'd make an educated guess that one wouldn't want to be rendering out the fat from either a salmon eater or one that was snacking on carrion from avalanche chutes, but otherwise it should be fine.

We go by smell with bear meat- if they smell a bit rank while they're being processed, the owners mark them for smoked sausage of some sort. If not then we do roasts, chops and burger much like an ungulate.

A long passed on buddy who had a trapping licence sent some bear claws down to a chap in New Mexico one time - he made traditional claw necklaces I believe.

As far as I heard no payment was ever received back for that either, but then who knows how many laws were bent out of shape with that transaction....

Things used to be different back in olden times so maybe it wasn't forbidden then, I'm not sure and I know my dear departed friend would have cared very little if it was or was not. grin

He was born in the Kootenays and came from a family of German/Cherokee extraction who's migrated there from north Texas in the dustbowl days.

Anyway sir, thanks for twigging the fond memories of a good friend this morning. I believe I'll raise my coffee cup to him in fact, as when I knew him he'd just quit "the other stuff" and we only shared coffee or pop together for the 23 years I knew him.

Happy New Year to you sir and all the best to you all in 2016.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 12/30/15. Reason: added info

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"