djones,
I respect that there are men who like the G7 and I think the newer model was what I have seen used. It worked well but in a situation you eluded to in your post. Plenty of time, on a rest, and the team using the G7 used a 1600B to compare to. Both of them always agreed to within a yard and most times were exactly the same.
The Leica 1600 is about as bullet proof for a hunting unit as is out there. Others are good and the Leica is at the top end of rangefinders in price. I have a 1200 that I have had for several years that works perfect and early this year I decided no more messing with my Shooter App on my IPhone while hunting and no more messing with a dope card.
Narrowed my choices to a 1600B or a Geovid HD-B. Both great products . Held my nose and bought the Geovids which are a pair of 10x42 Leica's with HD glass in them and a 1600 range finder with all the ballistic bells and whistles including weather, inclination, and the ability to read off of a mini SD card programmed with the ballistics of whatever rifle and bullet combination a guy chooses to use.
When compared to my friends 1600B there is a little difference in the ability to range as it seemed to both him and me the laser in the binocular was slightly stronger. Could have been though because it is easier to get on something to range it with the binoculars.
I really like both the 1600B and the Geovids. The G7 is a little to big to suit me for a hunting unit even though it is a fine range finder.

Dave