My other thread on the Hornady Superformance really got me wanting to try it so I bought 2 boxes of 53 grain vmax for my 223 and got out to shoot today. Lot cheaper than buying a couple of .270 boxes if it turned out to be a dud.

(Rifle is a Savage 12 action, Heavy 26" barrel, accutrigger, blackhawk picatinny rail, 6 hole blackhawk rings, SWFA SS 10X42 mil quad scope.
)

This is a very accurate and easy shooting rifle so I thought it would make a good test platform. I shot off the bench with bipod and rear bag at 100 yards.

Overall I was actually impressed...The accuracy was outstanding - 1st group was 5 shots into .75" second group was 10 shots all within 1.25 inches...Accuracy was awesome in my rifle.

What was a disappointment was velocity claims - the box says 3450 from a 24" barrel. I have a 26" so I was expecting 3500 FPS. However in 20 rounds fired the highest velocity I recorded was 3409 FPS. Most of the rounds shot fell in the 3350-3370 range - 100 fps under advertised specs.

But a 53 grain bullet at 3350 fps that shoots bullets in little tiny groups is just fine for a 400 and in p-dog rifle. Ill be anxious to see how this ammo does in this spring when weather warms up a bit.