Ya know

1) find what you like best. Which call can you play best? Box? Mouth?Pot?

Buy used ones on ebay or cheapest ones you can get to find out what that is. Dont jump to custom call right now. I use exclusively mass produced calls, less the $15.

2) once you find it, learn how to play it well. Not perfect, turks dont care about perfection, cause Ive heard some seriously bad real turkeys make alot of horrendous calls over the years.

Learn to be a consistent as you can as often as you can when you call. Practice practice practice. Treat pot calls like a bullseye. High around the edges, mid tones toward middle, and low tones toward center. Its like a musical instrument almost..

3) be gentle when conditioning calls- less is more. If its a pot Find the best striker for your hunting weather and surface. Some strikers can play anything, some less. Some play in damp weather, some dont.

The goal is the find a call and a striker that can make music every time, (if your gonna use a pot call). Sometimes you can have a gud pot, but bad striker. And vicee versee

One time I lost my favorite striker, I went and looked for it for two hours and back in another day, but couldn't locate it. Was devastated. A right tool is a pleasure to work with, as anybody that has worked wood knows. Bought 4 new strikers; only break glass in case of emergency

4) learn dinosaur "small talk". Single yelps, gentle purrs, whines, putts. Called in flocks just by making dinosaur chit chat, like girls at the beauty parlor.
Later on Learn to string chit chat together with strings of yelps coming in and out of both on command.

HUNT. prepare yourself mentally for being made an ass out of, there is a quick learning curve to Dinosaur hunting. Remember the lessons.

You may shoot the first bird that presents itself the first time. The young guys are most eager. I like to toy with them and look for the old guys.

To recap:

Find whats easiest to play
Learn to handle it well
Hunt. Laugh at being bested, and remember the lessons.

Lets Have fun out there. Its fun, dammit!
The call is like an egg, hold it like an egg.

Last edited by WillARights; 01/24/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016