Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv
I have used some leaves as well. Once we begin to understand soil biology, and how healthy plants are actually grown, it's amazing that the system works better when we stand back and get out of the way. laugh. I live in an area (desert) that receives about 3.5 to 5 inches of precip per year, and we have no topsoil. I have several places where the covering has been applied, and rich, dark soil is beginning to form. Listened to a gentleman named Gabe Brown speak at a small farm conference. He is doing AMAZING things on a larger scale (5,000acres), and re-writing the rules for sustainability.

Tim I have also worked several Gardens in the Desert so I know what you are up against in building your Soil. I will be starting a High Altitude 5 acre Terrace Project not too far from you hopefully in just a few weeks if the weather holds out. I am at the Juniper/Pinyon level of just under 6,000 Ft. There is absolutely no Top Soil and I will have to build my own.

I have to share that the user here crossfireoops has extensive knowledge about this topic and we have been communicating about this very same thing. He brought up a very good point I had not considered and is very important for us out here when it comes to building soils. He brought up the fact that it is imperative to import additional successful Humus in the beginning because there are Bacteria, Enzymes and Fungi needed that we will never achieve from our own Soils without it.

Just wanted to bring this possible future problem to your attention because we are working similar Soils. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.