I see the water is over the dam already. However, I'll still throw in a little experience I've had. Mostly I've used flat nose bullets when shooting cast into critters and have had excellent luck with them. Nothing has stood around to admire the holes. In my 358 Winchester rifle, the only bullet I have is the Lyman 200 grain RN bullet. Cast moderately hard it shoots quite well at around 1900 fps. A few years ago, the hare population was high and using 22s had gotten old, so I decided to give a bigger rifle a go. One of the bunnies gave me a 50 yard try, so I laid it on his head- to avoid ruining the front half- and set one loose. The bullet drilled him just ahead of his eyes, right under the bridge of his nose. The impact knocked him crazy for a moment, but he soon recovered and appeared to be ready to escape. I could tell I had hit him as he had blood on his head, but I figured it was just an ear shot, so I put a second into him a bit lower. The second shot drilled his shoulders and put him down quite obviously. That, to my mind, pretty much validates what has long been said about the round nosed types of bullets. They slide through. That rabbit has a 35 caliber hole through his head that you could look right through, but it was drilled with very minimal shock value or displacement. If I were to use that bullet on something bigger like caribou or similar, I would certainly aim for bones.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.