Originally Posted by BobinNH
So Swamplord...what do you think?

Seems penetration was 4 jugs? They sure made a mess.

I know you also use Barnes on those moose.

This is what my response was on another forum and my opinion hasn't changed in the last day or so, lol ! just my opinion man, it don't mean nuthin in the real world !

What this test confirmed for me is that the Hornady 212 gr ELD-X bullet performs much like the 200 gr Nosler Partition ! About 13 years ago I did an identical test with the 200 gr Partition at similar velocities from the 7.82 Warbird with cookie cutter results as far as water jug blow up, how many and bullet expansion/deformation.......... One of the reasons I shied away from the Partition all these years and packed the 200 gr Swift A-Frame as a defensive and close range hunting bullet on my solo hunts in Alaska, I still want to see an A-Frame/Scirocco 30 cal offspring around 200 gr !

nothing wrong with the 212 gr ELD-X as a hunting bullet, even up close in controlled, properly placed bullets on non dangerous game that runs away, I'll use it on moose at 10 yards and out, yes sir ! but I will not pack it as a first round choice in areas I hunt.................... I feel the same way about Berger Hunting and Hybrid bullets,

I really wanted to see more weight retention up close at these velocities but then again high velocity water tests are pretty destructive bullet tests, although it gives us an idea of what may happen if your bullet hits the big bone you were trying to avoid......

The 212 gr ELD-X bullet is very accurate at high velocities and coupled with the nice BC's, guaranteed expansion.... it should be a decent long range hunting bullet,

the water jug test was to satisfy my curiosity of how it will do up close on a brown bear charge and it didn't pass the test , but I gotta say 3200 + fps can tear many bullets apart at 50 yards......... Maybe at 300 Win Mag/300 WSM velocities it will not shed so much weight and penetrate deeper........ I am loading the 220 gr ELD-X with RL33 as I type this , from 92.0 gr up to 98.0 gr, bullets are coated with WS2 as well and will be shot into water jugs at 50 yards, hoping the 8 gr heavier and longer bearing surface will show more weight retention over the 212 gr ELD-X ......

seems there may not be the perfect do all at all range big game hunting bullet available just yet, at least for where and what I hunt

I'm back to dual bullet carry , well... never abandoned the idea

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".