Originally Posted by the_shootist
How does that mod 96 safety work with the scope, Dwayne? Nice looking rifle BTW.

Brother Keith;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and your fine family well and that spring has been arriving in your part of the world too.

The rifle in the photo is actually what we believe to be a fairly rare up here commercial 98 Mauser as it had the Mauser roll mark on the front receiver ring and no Nazi waffenamt marks like most of the rest of them at our place do - barring the VZ28 action I'm trying to make into something for our eldest.... but anyway.

So the safety on mine is a new Timney made version of the grand Buehler design that's been around for so long. They are an absolute breeze to install and get working.

I've installed a good number of the Gun Parts Corp Super Low Scope safeties over the years and while they do work, I wouldn't exactly say it's a quick install most times.

The safety on our daughter's 96 is a Mark II safety that was intended for a 98 action.
[Linked Image]

To make it work, I milled a groove into the safety shaft, then drilled a hole through the bolt shroud and used a brass pin to retain the safety as it's got more built in lubricity than a steel one would.

Oh, I should add that whatever the Swedes used for steel on the 96 bolt shrouds it's certainly tougher than the material used on the 98 bolt shrouds I've played with. Not sure if that has any bearing on any thing, but anyway that's what I found.

The safeties do clear the scopes okay on both rifles, but are tougher to manipulate with heavy gloves on than say a tang or side safety would be.

We honestly don't use the safety much at all though, so it's a bit of a non issue for us. I always put a functional safety on my builds because it "should" be there however.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone out there today Brother Keith. All the best to you all today and in the upcoming week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"