Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
C'mon boys, lets kick it up a notch, the thread is waning.
Ok I'll ask this. Would JOC have been a bigger proponent of the 7 Mouser if the .270 Win wouldn't have come along? Did JOC endear himself to the .270Win. on his own or was he prompted by the "industry" or maybe even his editor?
Ok, let's mull this around for a couple more pages.

Whoop, I certainly can't know JOC's mind but I have a feeling that it was a combination of BOTH.

He spoke his mind whether anyone agreed with him or not. He saw the 270 perform over yrs + on multitudes of game. At the same time he GOT PAID for writing, so...

We also know that Jack liked 'other' cartridges as well because he wrote praise of them. My ? is, how many Win 70, 270s did he sell? No one knows but obviously he was involved.

Jerry

Yes I suppose when JOC started to get name recognition - the 60's, the .270 Win was around for some 35 years - although WWII would have slowed down interest and sales. So maybe all JOC did was to help with the interest in the .270 WCF.
I wonder if the .308 put a damper on things in 1952 when it came out. Some of this is just idle conjecture along with a full pot of coffee.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.