Guiding is really a young man's game. I have done both hunting and fishing and for the most part, it is like babysitting. If a babysitter needs a tip, then maybe it is appropriate for guides as well.

Whenever I guided anybody, I never counted on a tip. I guided for the wages and was always pleased with a tip, but never considered it part of the pay. I don't know where the standard of tipping started in relation to the job description, but on either side of the equation, I believe the tip has to be earned.

There is a lot of celebrity attached to guiding, and I did appreciate the client that showed reverence, but not all of the clients are that way. Some can't be told anything, others, are easily pleased and compensate generously.

I don't want to guide hunting anymore, it is just too much work. Anyone who has done it, knows how much work it is and makes the choice to guide or not. Compensation for the work is up front and if it doesn't suit you, you do need to look for some other occupation.

When I retire, I could see guiding fishing trips again, mainly because I enjoy it, not because of the money...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]