ok, not energy, or "knockdown" or "Taylor theory" or bullet weight/diameter question exactly.

does a 30-06 with a 150 grain cup and core bullet at 2900 fps have a decided edge over a 6.5x55 with a 140 partition, or a 257 weatherby with a 100 ttsx at 3500fps?

I am kicking around some ideas and the energy figures are close, and the "mythic power" of the "kills better than it should on paper" type observations are all there.

and let's say elk or bear. does the diameter of the 06 offset the velocity of the 257, or the penetration of the swede come in higher or lower on the "what's important in killing efficiency" scale?

to boil it down...does it make sense to have the recoil and possibly the weight of a larger rifle, or is it just as effective to use something else?

and yes, we will be putting each bullet in the right place and using a decent bullet.

I am showing my ass here and admitting I don't know much. which is ok, because I don't know much smile

you guys with decades of experience putting holes in animals tell me how to quantify this stuff.