I've had a hard time finding a good lightweight tripod myself. I've tried lots and still haven't found what I'm looking for.

That said I do know that 'good' tripods tend to be very heavy. Most people who want good tripods are photographers and they do not want any wiggle or shake - and that means the tripods are heavy. Manfrotto does make GREAT tripods, but they also tend to be REALLY heavy and not great for backpacking.

Last time I looked none of the high end tripods were under 2 pounds.

Consequently, I've tried a bunch of cheap lightweight tripods for my backpacking spotting scope. I used to use a Nikon XL (32 oz) and now use the Nikon 50 ED that weighs 16 oz - so I do not need a super sturdy tripod. Currently I use a Slik tripod that works pretty good - it weighs 32 oz. I can't remember the name just the brand. But it has flintlock rather than twist adjustments, and a good ball head. It works pretty well but it does weigh twice what my scope weighs.

DON'T get the twist leg extensions - they always break. I also tried some lighter weight tripods and they just did not work. I tried some of those 8 oz deals for point and shoot cameras, and one that all folded up with shock cord (something like 12 oz), and they all proved too wobbly and did not have enough quick adjustment for use in the field while hunting. For instance, when you grab it off the pack the pack to check out an animal - you want to get the animal in the scope as soon as possible, and you don't want it wobbling all over the place when you do.

So it seems i'm stuck with a 2 lb tripod - but hey, at least it was cheap (something like 50 bucks). I just wish there was a good one pound tripod and am hoping that someone will post in with information about just such a thing.

Patrick