Weight is what drove me to a quilt to start. I do some long distance hiking. My handle is a result of a attempt on the AT that ended in WV, but I have done many sections farther north plus the NLP LT, JMT etc. I have used quilts almost exclusively from 1998 in temps from summer to around 0F.

For most hunting applications weight isn't so important, a few oz or even pounds aren't to big a deal if you walking a half dozen miles to a spike camp, but weights a big deal if your going to carry it day after day for 200+ miles.

Once I started to use a quilt I found that down to 25-30F quilts were more comfortable than a mummy. Even more than one might think, because lightweight mummies tend to be cut pretty thin.

All my quilts are homemade. I have two synthetics, one made from 2.5 oz climashield and one from 5oz climashield and the last, a down quilt I made with 850 down for cold weather use.

I am side sleeper and maybe half of my nights are spent in leanto's and the hard floor means I shift around a bit. I have found that the size of the quilt both in length and width is key to keeping drafts at bay, in fact I would rather be under insulated with plenty of size than the other way around. Three season hiking I typically carry a LW capilene top, 100 wt fleece and thin primaloft pullover. I can layer up for warmth if needed. I am not one of those folks who can lay still like a mummy so I need enough width I can roll around without drafts.

If you have a a sewing machine I would suggest making test quilt, for three season use I would start with 5oz climashield and a LW shell. Make it the maximum size you think you would use. After some use, if you decide a smaller size is best you can trim is down and re-hem the edge. The materials aren't that expensive and you can knock one out in an hour or two. Once you have a feeling what works for you you can knock out a quilt to your specs or buy a commercial unit. Personally I wouldn't buy a synthetic quilt, they are just so easy to make, but a down quilt is a PITA to make.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge