Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Sounds like a solid plan! Good to know on the MK's. The 0.755 G1 matches up nicely on the 195's also, out to 1420m at least, which is as far as I've shot them so far. I built a rifle around that bullet, so I'm running it well within mag length and kissing the lands, with the bottom of the bullet shank just below the neck/shoulder junction.

That bullet certainly is an animal, and even makes the 162 look silly in the wind. You can definitely tell the difference between the two when they hit steel. When the 195 hits it sounds like somebody hit the plate with a sledge hammer.

Jordan,

I always start load work in the lands .020" or so. Both dummies were set up for that, with the bullet's pressure ring at the n/s junction too. The Bergers were about .020" under box length, the SMK's about .050" over. I've moved my seater out .010" at the 450 round count. Smart move on my part for not adding the third bullet to the mix for testing at this point. Have you tested jumping the 195's?

I just ran another side by side ballistic comparison, the 183 .713 BC vs the 195 .755 BC, with a WAG velocity loss of the 195 at 125 fps. A virtual tie across the board at 2K, except the SMK's 3 MOA less drop.

From a LR plinking standpoint, I think the SMK wins, edging the 195's in drop and cost. But from a hunting standpoint, my 180 Hybrids run about 2 MOA behind the SMKs, so the 195 wins there. However, I pointed my Hybrids, so the true figures are likely worse, as I don't want to shoot pointed bullets for hunting.

I was about to replenish my Sierra stash, maybe I should re-think the 195's.

aalf,

I do the same thing by starting into the lands about 0.020" and working backwards if need be. I have jumped the 195's a little bit, no extensive testing by any means, but the little I did work with the bullet jumping about 0.060" off the lands showed a lot of promise. A starting load produced a few groups of 5 shots into about 0.5-0.75 MOA, from a couple of different rifles. It's been a very easy bullet to work with so far.

In my rifles I usually get about 100 fps more with the 180 Hybrid than the 195, just FWIW. Though you're right about the cost. The Sierra or a Hornady would certainly be more cost effective when burning through thousands of the things, though the 195's wind-cutting performance and impact on target are pretty satisfying smile

Honestly I'm not sure you'd see much difference between the 3 bullets in all practicality. I'd probably run whichever shot better/was cheaper for plinking, though it wouldn't hurt to try a box of the 195's just to see what it'll do in your barrel. I'm definitely liking the idea of the 195 for LR killing, though ironically the only game animal I've killed with it so far has been a WT buck at 100m *grin*