5sdad, public hunting lands are rare in Texas. Parks and Wildlife has a few places available by draws, and a few places for birds.

Other than those, you are on your own to find places to hunt. Even with a year round lease, you can get screwed. Cousin hand I had a place leased. The rancher patterned our hunts, then day leased the property at times when he was pretty sure we would not be there. I caught him by deciding to burn some vacation time in the middle of the week. We were already on to him as there was brass here and there of caliber(s) that we did not use.

I have been lucky. I have lots of family and a bunch of friends that have access to good hunting statewide. Frankly, most times, hunts that I paid for were a disappointment. Surprisingly, I have had pretty good success by simply asking landowners for permission. I was surprised how many folks in central Kansas allowed us to hunt pheasant, after our original destination proved to be already over hunted.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero